The information technology sector is one of those sectors which is widespread and has a great impact on each and every sector, no doubt the healthcare sector also uses IT for their work, IT has boosted healthcare and improved the facilities of healthcare a lot which ultimately benefits the patients to become healthy soon. In this article we will discuss the role of Technology in medical science means how the Health Care sector uses information technology for their work.
Some Technologies adopted by the healthcare sector to improve their facilities
The Information technologies used in healthcare are called Healthcare information technology (HIT) following are some HITs adopted by the Healthcare sector and how they have improved healthcare.
B. EMR (Electronic medical record): These are simply records related to patients in electronic form or digital form. These are records of a patient’s medical history, treatment, medical test, etc on a computer.
Earlier time these records used to be handwritten and files are maintained which is a time taking process and also is quite tough to maintain the files of all the patients and there was always a risk of losing a file or a file can be damaged easily.
To get rid of all these problems the healthcare sector uses information technology to make all types of records and maintain it in a digital form, this not only saves lots of time.
EMR not only keeps the record but it is very advanced and does much more work than data recording. This helps in making communication between patients and all the members of healthcare so that patients should not get troubled.
Some benefits of EMR in the Healthcare Sector
- By use of it, anyone can see its record online from anywhere
- You do not need to carry big files to a new doctor, just go to any doctor and log in to your account and show your past history and treatments to the doctor.
- EMR also saves lots of space as there are no physical documents or files to be maintained which helps to increase the number of beds in a hospital and more patients can be treated at the same time which means the efficiency of the hospital increases.
- It helps in maintaining the security of patients’ information as the records are now on the computer so only a limited person can access that information and nobody can steal it easily.
B. Clinical Decision Support: It is a tool of information technologies that are used in the health sector for decision-making tasks.
It uses the information of the patient, analyses the information, and then suggests the doctors and other medical staff how to deal with the patient.
Few Advantages of CDS in the Healthcare sector:
- It saves time for medical staff, as, by using it medical staff does not need to go through the all information of the patient.
- It saves the time of the doctor who is treating the patient as it tells about medical history and past treatment of patients and also what type of medicine should be or should not be given to any particular patient which helps the doctor to decide the best possible treatment for the patient.
- It saves money for the patient as it has all the records so the patient can easily provide all the data to the doctor and the doctor suggests only required tests or medicine to the patient which saves the patient to do one type of test again and again.
C. Computerized disease registries
When data of Disease registries are stored in a computer then is called computerized disease registries. Disease registries are basically the detailed data of any patient’s disease, it is data of a particular disease including all types of treatment which helped the patient. These types of registries are made to make the treatment easy and effective for future patients.
Some Benefits of adopting computerized disease registries in the healthcare sector:
These types of registries help doctors and scientists to understand any disease in depth.
As the registries are in computerized form so it becomes easy to compare data the of disease and to study it with help of a computer which makes it facile for doctors and scientists to get treatment of any non-treatable disease or to get any new, cheap, and more effective treatment for those diseases whose treatment is costly and complicated.
D. Computerized provider order entry (CPOE)
Generally, doctors and other healthcare staff use to give orders to the patient for having medicine, and other treatments by verbally or by writing. CPOE is a kind of system by which a patient gets electronic messages of instructions from time to time without the use of any paperwork.
Advantages of CPOE:
- By using these patients get instructions at the exact time without any failure.
- These provide exact information on medicine and tests for the patient which makes them safe for patients as if there are chances of mistakes by nurses or other staff.
E. Remote Monitoring or Remote patient monitoring(RPM):
It is a type of monitoring of any patient by a doctor when the patient is very far and is unable to come to the doctor for any reason.
This facility is done by using various tools provided by information technology and managed by managed IT service providers (MSPs).
RPMs are more than just prescribing medicine to the patient by a doctor but by using it a doctor can operate any operation with the help of a 5G network.
Benefits of RPM:
- It is useful for those patients who need a doctor’s advice but can not go to the doctor for their check-up.
- It is useful in an emergency like sudden heart attack, brain stock, etc in which there is very little chance for survival and a person needs sudden help from a doctor.
- It is very useful in pandemic like covid-19 in which the whole world becomes a prison and people use to go out from their home only in an emergency.
Conclusion: The IT sector has many applications and in the above article I have explained some of its applications that are adopted by the health care sector. I hope this article is helpful to you.